You cannot use your laptop if the touchpad stops working, unless you connect an external pointing device. When it stops responding to your fingertips, there is a problem, but it can be fixed using the methods in this guide. If…
You are watching: how to fix touchpad on dell laptop
It is not possible to use your laptop if the touchpad stops working, unless you connect an external pointing device.
When it stops responding to your fingertips, there is a problem, but it can be fixed using the methods in this guide.
If you are unable to resolve the problem using your laptop’s touchpad, we recommend that you take your laptop to a technician for further troubleshooting.< /strong>
[7 Solutions] the application failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect
Touchpad stops working if drivers are damaged, disabled in Windows , by the physical switch or if you have the wrong settings.
The guide offers you different ways to repair it. Before proceeding, we recommend that you connect an external mouse or use the laptop’s TrackPoint, if available.
Issues can cause a lot of issues on your PC, and speaking of issues, here are some similar issues users have encountered:
“Tap to Click” not working – This issue can occur if not configured correctly. This feature may not even be enabled, so be sure to check the settings.
Touchpad click no longer works on Lenovo, HP, Windows 10 – Many laptop brands are affected by this issue, and to fix it, be sure to update your drivers to the latest version.
Lenovo double click not working – Some Lenovo owners have also reported this issue. To fix it, try reinstalling your drivers and see if that helps.
Dell click not working – This issue can also appear on Dell devices, but if you encounter it, be sure to try all the solutions proposed in this article.
Method 1: Make sure touch is enabled
If trackpad touch click is not working on your laptop, it is may not be enabled. Your trackpad supports different configurations, and to enable this feature you just need to do the following:
- Press Windows key + S and type control panel. Select Control Panel from the list.
- When Control Panel opens, select Mouse.
- The mouse window will now open. Go to the Device Settings tab.
- Now click on the Settings button and go to the Type tab.
- Check the Enable touch functions box and click OK.
After makingthese changes, thetackle function should be activated and everything will start working again. A few users reported that touch was already enabled, but after disabling it and re-enabling it solved the problem.
[5 Solutions] Error 224003 Video cannot be played
Method 2: Checking mouse settings (another way)
To open your mouse settings, open Start menu, type “Control Panel” and press Enter , then navigate to Hardware and Sound > Mouse (under Devices and Printers).
You can also right-click the mouse icon in the notification bar, then select » Settings/Properties “.
In the ‘Mouse Properties window, locate your touchpad settings, which is usually on the far right , next to the “Hardware” tab.
The tab name is the name of the touchpad manufacturer (Synaptic, ELAN, etc).
- Make sure the “Enable” checkbox is checked or the “Enable Device” button is active.
- Adjustany other settings you want to change, click Apply, then OK
- Move your fingers on the touchpad to check whether it works or not .
On some devices, itmay stop working if an external mouse is connected. You can disable this setting on this same tab.
[6 Solutions] Manage and Disable “WSAPPX” Disk 100%
Method 3: Using the Windows Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
The Windows Troubleshooter can help you find unknown issues it is facing and provide solutions.< /p>
- OpenControl Panel by pressing the Start button, typing “Control Panel” and then pressing the Enter.
- Navigate to System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Troubleshooting > Configure a device (under Hardware and Sound).
- A troubleshooting wizard will appear where you should follow the prompts to find problems and provide solutions for hardware problems with your PC. strong>
[6 Solutions] No Audio Output Device is Installed
Method 4: Reinstall the drivers
Touchpad no longer works = A faulty or missing mouse driver. Thereinstalling the original drivers may make it work again.
The drivers cannot work either after a faulty update or when the new version of the operating system does not match the version outdated drivers.
- Visit the official website of the seller of your laptop.
- You can refer to it from your device manual or from a simple Google search (e.g. HP website).
- Click the Support page on the site of the seller
- Enter your model number, serial number or serial number in the field provided.
- You can also use the model selection utility on the website, if available.
- Select Drivers and find the driver for your laptop.
- It is usually under Mouse or Touchpad
- Download the latest driver and install it.
- Restart your PC and move your finger on the touchpad to check whether it is working or not.
How to Solve the APPCRASH Problem? [6 Answers]
Method 5: Updating the drivers
Device Manager can give you information about hardware problems and help you update existing drivers.< /p>
For example, if a device has a exclamation mark or an X icon, it means that< strong>the device has software or hardware problems.
Follow the steps below to locate and update the drivers.
- Press the Windows + R key on your keyboard, type devmgmt.msc and then press Enter.
- Click the arrow next to “Mice and Other Pointing Devices“.
- Locate your touchpad and right-click the icon and select “Properties“.
- Click on the Driver tab and first make sure the Disable button is active. This makes sure it is enabled.
- Click Update Driver Software in the same tab, then select “Search automatically for updated driver software“.
- You must be connected to the Internet for this to work.
- Follow the instructions to complete updating your Touchpad drivers.
[10 Solutions] Fix “DNS Server Not Responding”
Method 6: verification of the physical switch
It is common forcomputer users to unknowingly turn off using the physical switch, especially ontouchpads that have the switch is located in the corners.
- Locate the “Fn” key on the keyboard and press it.
- This key is usually next to the “ctrl” key at the bottom and it may have a different color.
- While pressing the Fn key, locate Function Keys (F1 > F12) for a key with a pad icon touch with a finger on it.
- Press the Fn key and the function key on the touchpad simultaneously to wake up your laptop.
- Check that it works.
Keyboards with Multimedia Mode enabled do not require you to press the function key duringthe touchpad activation. Just press the key to turn it back on.
Other laptops like HPhave the function on itself and therefore require another method toenable it.
- Look for a small light. It’s usually on the top left, with an orange LED next to it.
- Double-tap the dimple and check if the LED (if present) turns off.
- Move your fingers to verify that it works.
Method 7: Checking BIOS settings
As a last resort, we will check if the option is disabled from the BIOS itself. Each laptop has settings regarding the touchpad in its BIOS where the user can enable or disable it as desired.
If settings are disabled by default in BIOS, changing other settings will not work.
Note: make sure you do not change other BIO optionsS that you are not aware of.
- Turn off your PC and restart it to access the BIOS.
- The latter is device-specific and is usually displayed when the POST screen appears.
- The Esc, Delete, F2, F8, F10, F12 keys are the most frequently used keys used to enter the BIOS.
- Check hardware device settings and enable the touchpad if it is disabled.
- Exit BIOS and restart your PC, then run your fingers over the touchpad to verify that it is working.
Method 8: Make changes to your registry
According to users, sometimes you need to edit the registry to fix problems with your touchpad.
Your registry contains all kinds of hidden settings, and ifthe trackpad touch click is not working, you may be able to fix the problem by changing these settings.
To do this, just follow these steps:
- Press Windows key + R and type regedit. Press Enter or click OK.
- In the left panel, navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Synaptics > SynTP > Install
- In the right pane, double-click DeleteUserSettingsOnUpgrade DWORD to change its settings. If this DWORD is not available, you may need to create it manually.
- Change the value of the DWORD to and click OK.
After making these changes, the touch click issue should be resolved. Remember that this solution only works if you have this key in your registry.
If not, this solution won’t apply to you, so you can just ignore it.
Method 9: Perform System Restore
If this problem has started appearing recently, it is possible that a recent change to your system is the cause.
In order to fix this issue, it is advisable to perform a System Restore and check if that helps.
It’s relatively easy to do and you can do it by following these steps:
- Press Windows key + S and type rsystem restore.
- Select Create a restore point from the list of results.
- When the system properties window appears, click the Restore System button.
- System Restore will open.
- Click Next to continue.
- Look for the Show more restore points option and enable it, if available.
- Select the desired restore point and click Next.
- Now follow the on-screen instructions to complete the restore process.
Once your system is restored, check if the problem still persists. Keep in mind that the problem may reappear, so carefully monitor system updates and other system.
If your trackpad’s touch click isn’t working properly, it can be a big problem, but in most cases the problem is caused by your settings or drivers .
See more information related to the topic how to fix touchpad on dell laptop
How to Fix Touchpad on Dell Laptop Windows 10 (Official Dell Tech Support)
- Author: Dell Support
- Post date: 2021-01-22
- Ratings: 4 ⭐ ( 9434 Ratings )
- Match search results: In this video about how to fix touchpad on Dell laptop Windows 10, we show you ways to resolve issues when your Touchpad is not working or acting strangely. By following these troubleshooting steps, your touchpad will be back to functioning normally again.
00:09 Enable Touchpad through Fn Key
00:36 Run the System Diagnostics
01:12 Check inside Safe Mode
02:06 Update BIOS
03:05 Update Drivers
03:38 Enable Touchpad Gestures
If you have questions or need support, contact us through social media on Facebook at www.facebook.com/dell and Twitter at www.twitter.com/dellcares
You can also join in a chat on our Dell Community Forum at www.dell.com/community and click on Support Forums. To learn more about our Dell Community Forum check out http://dell.to/2tbhVvt
For additional guidance with your PC’s maintenance and troubleshooting visit http://dell.to/2te92S1
How to Fix Dell Touchpad Not Working in Windows PC
- Author: blogs.dpsro.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 2159 Ratings )
- Match search results: If you are facing the Dell touchpad not working error repeatedly on your Windows 11, 10, and other PCs, then click here to find the best solutions for the same.
Dell Laptop TouchPad Settings on Windows 10
- Author: tencomputer.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 8270 Ratings )
- Match search results: If you have a Dell Laptop, you can learn more about the TouchPad such as set your TouchPad operation, update its driver from this article.
How To Fix Touchpad On Dell Laptop Windows 10?
- Author: www.programatium.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 4877 Ratings )
- Match search results:
How do I enable my touchpad on my Dell laptop? – Easierwithpractice.com
- Author: easierwithpractice.com
- Ratings: 3 ⭐ ( 6992 Ratings )
- Match search results:
Touchpad Usage and Troubleshooting Guide
- Author: www.dell.com
- Ratings: 4 ⭐ ( 5830 Ratings )
- Match search results:
How to Fix a Touchpad That’s Not Working on Windows 10
- Author: www.lifewire.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 3823 Ratings )
- Match search results: Nine quick solutions for when your Windows 10 touchpad or trackpad stops working properly. Easy-to-understand steps with detailed info and guides.
See more articles in this category: Computer tips