Did you also get the “Default Gateway Unavailable” message when trying to connect your device to another one? Read on to fix it
You are watching: how to fix default gateway unavailable
Windows was the best but not without defects, and one of these defects is shown in the form of a default gateway unavailable error. This problem has been reported mainly by Windows 10 users. There can be many reasons for this, and what you want most are the solutions for them.
For that, we dedicate this article to you, where we give you the 11 best solutions when you see it the default gateway is not available . Read on.
Understanding the default gateway
The main purpose of a default gateway is to facilitate communication between two devices operating in different network zones. So basically, it acts like an access point used by any PC to send information to any other PC, which is running in another network zone.
The absence of any default gateway configuration on any PC implies that there is no intermediate path between the Internet and the local network. This also means that devices working in one network zone will not be able to communicate with devices in another network zone.
PS: Here, we will learn more about what Zone-based firewall is.
The best solutions to try when the default gateway is not is available
Below is a list of methods you can try to get the default gateway working.
Also, click here to find out how to fix 0x80072f8f error on Windows.
Open Device Manager on your PC. Select the Network adapters option. Choose your network and right click on it. In the next menu, select the Update Driver Software .
Select the “ Automatically search for updated driver software ‘option. Now allows Windows to search for available system software and network driver updates.
Many times it happens that when searched, Windows cannot find any recent updates, but this is not the case in reality. The latest version could definitely be there. You need to visit the official website of the network card manufacturer available on your PC. You can check this on the Download page and install it if updates are available.
One thing you need to make sure while the update is being downloaded is a smooth internet connection. If it’s unstable, then you have to deal with it.
1. Search for Troubleshooting and then select the Windows Troubleshooting option.
2. Click Network and Internet . Press the Internet Connections .
3. Click Next and then the last option to select is Troubleshoot my Internet connection .
4. Follow the instructions as they appear on the screen.
5. Your Internet connection will now improve.
If you don’t want to take that risk, you can download this update to any other PC and then transfer it to the target PC with the help of a USB or DVD device.
2. Uninstall the network card drivers to fix “Default Gateway Not Available”
This is another solution that you can try to fix the faulty drivers and prevent them from causing the default gateway unavailable problem. This method will be useful for Windows 8 system users. Don’t worry as you may think that this way you will lose the drivers forever. This will not be the case as Windows will later detect the adapters immediately after rebooting the system. It will then reinstall them on your PC.
Search for Device Manager and then open it. Open the network adapters option. Find the adapter and right click on it. Hit Uninstall and then confirm it to have started the process. new start the PC. Windows will detect the adapter again if you want to reconnect to it. It will then reinstall the drivers for that adapter on your PC.
By the way, if you are facing Windows has detected an IP address conflict or DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG , click to resolve them now.
3. Disable the power saving feature to fix “Default gateway unavailable”
Recent versions of Windows have a power saving feature that allows you to conserve PC battery by disabling some drivers. However, this feature may start to malfunction and therefore the default gateway is not an available error by permanently disabling the drivers.
You can disable this feature by following these steps:
1. Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run prompt.
2. Enter “ devmgmt.msc ‘. Click Enter .
3. Double click on the Network Card option in the drop-down list.
4. Find the name of your driver and then right click on it. Click Properties now.
5. Hit the Power Management tab. Check the option Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power .
4. Disable the wireless adapter’s power saving mode to fix “Default gateway unavailable”
You can change the power management settings of the wireless adapter on Windows 10 which will likely fix the default gateway, unavailable error, as many users have stated. Follow the steps given to do this:
1. Press the Windows + S keys. Look for Power Options . In the menu that appears, click on Power Options .
2. Now the next window will search for your floor. From there, click on the option of Change combination settings .
3. Select the option of Change advanced power management settings next.
4. Navigate and find the Wireless Card Settings option. Change the setting to Maximum Performance .
5. Now hit the Apply option. Click OK to save the changes.
5. Change the channel of the wireless router
Sometimes it happens that the wireless channel and wireless adapters having dual band capture problems and thus causing the default gateway error are not available. You can solve this particular problem by logging into the wireless router. Then you will change the automatic value of its channel by inserting a new one.
Mostly, users claimed that they changed the channel to six and that solved the problem altogether. However, we recommend that you try the other channels as well. For better help on this problem, read the manual that came with your router.
Another option besides the channel change suggested by many users is to change the encryption method. WPA-WPA 2 encryption has worked for many people and you should try too. If this fails to give the desired results, try the other encryption methods as well. Remember that encryption methods can also be outdated and you may end up with incomplete protection. Then keep the other fix in hand.
6. Set a new frequency for the wireless router
Recent routers have a frequency of 5 GHz, but if the current adapter is old, it may not support it. In this case, you need to change the router frequency to 2.4 GHz . Many users have given the thumbs up for this method of solving the default gateway unavailable issue.
7. Install the latest version of the Ethernet driver
Your Windows 10 PC may be facing gateway error due to an outdated Ethernet driver, so to get rid of it, you need to install the updated and latest version. To do this, visit the motherboard manufacturer’s website and then search for the latest driver suitable for your device. Once downloaded, complete the installation process. This could probably fix the default gateway unavailable.
One thing to note is that you should be careful during this process as downloading new drivers can potentially damage your system, either permanently or significantly. Manual download should always be performed with the necessary precautions.
8. Remove McAfee antivirus to fix “Default Gateway Not Available”
Antivirus programs sometimes cause network configurations to fail as well. McAfee users have reported such an issue more often than not. We recommend that you remove or uninstall the antivirus from your PC which could probably solve the problem for you.
Open the Control Panel of the device. Select the Programs option and then click Programs and Features . You will see active McAfee programs here and then uninstall all of them completely. You can also press the Windows + R keys and then select the Add and Remove Programs option. Enter the command appwiz.cpl in the Run box.
Removal of anti-virus programs may not be complete as registry entries or some files may remain. To remove this possibility, we recommend that you get assistance from any third-party app for removal.
After deleting the antivirus software, your PC will be protected by Windows Defender. However, you can put any other antivirus at work.
9. Try the netshell recovery command
Resetting the system’s IP / TCP has been reported by many users as a likely solution to the default gateway unavailable problem. To get started, you must first launch the command prompt and then enter the IP reset command.
Follow the steps below:
1. Run the Command Prompt as an administrator. Do this by pressing the Windows + X keys and then selecting the Command Prompt (Administrator) in the pop-up menu.
2. Once the Command Prompt opens, enter the networks hint ip reset command. Hit Enter .
3. When the process is complete, close the command prompt. new start the PC.
10. Change the wireless mode to 802.11g to correct “Default gateway unavailable”
This can be another great solution to try when the default gateway isn’t available, as it’s easy to do. You need to change your wireless mode to 802.1g from the previous 802.11g / b. Follow the steps below to do this:
1. Open the Network Connections window by pressing the Windows + X keys. Select the apt option in the flyout.
2. Navigate and find your network card, then right click on it. Select the Properties option in the menu.
3. Press the Configuration button.
4. Press the Advanced tab. Click Wireless Mode . Choose 802.11g on that menu.
Save your changes and see if the problem is resolved.
11. Disable the Auto Login feature
This auto logon feature is part of Windows 8 and its users have defined it as the cause of the default gateway unavailable error. This function starts automatically when the computer is opened and starts running the user account that was active before the last PC shutdown.
There are no adequate instructional guidelines for disabling this feature. However, what you can do is assign a password for all active accounts on the PC. This will prevent automatic activation of automatic login and therefore access to the accounts themselves.
If you find settings passwords to be a risky business, we recommend that you create simple, short passwords that you can easily remember. You can also set password hints for your convenience. This will be even easier if you choose Microsoft Accounts instead of Local Accounts as setting the password becomes more convenient here with the option to recover via an email account.
Conclusion on how to fix “The default gateway is not available”
We hope that the solutions we have provided to you to get rid of the default gateway unavailable problem will prove to be very helpful. Determining the cause of the problem is important and this article will give you a clear idea of this. Just pick a solution that serves the purpose for you and get started.
See more information related to the topic how to repair default gateway unavailable
How to Fix Default Gateway is Not Available in Windows 10/8/7/11 – 
- Author: TechFixIT
- Post date: 2020-01-29
- Ratings: 4 ⭐ ( 2373 Ratings )
- Match search results: This tutorial will help you fix Default Gateway is not available in Windows 10 2022. Windows Network Diagnostics Default Gateway is Not Available The connection between your access point, router or cable modem and the internet is broke. The Default Gateway Is Not Available constantly error Solution.
Internet Problem Default Gateway is Not Available Solution.
This windows video tutorial will work on Windows 10, windows 10 N, windows 10 KN, Windows Server, Windows 11 operating systems and desktops, laptops, tables and computers manufactured by the following brands: , Dell, HP, Alienware, MSI, Toshiba, Acer, Lenovo, razer, huawei, samsung among others.
Fix The default gateway is not available on Windows 10/11
- Author: windowsreport.com
- Ratings: 3 ⭐ ( 3319 Ratings )
- Match search results: If the default gateway is not available, following the solutions in this article will surely solve the problem.
How to Fix Default Gateway Is Not Available (5 Simple Steps)
- Author: g15tools.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 6090 Ratings )
- Match search results:
How to fix ‘The default gateway is not available’ on Windows 10? Part 2 — Auslogics Blog
- Author: www.auslogics.com
- Ratings: 3 ⭐ ( 1971 Ratings )
- Match search results: Here is how to fix the error Default Gateway Is Not Available in Windows 10. First, reset TCP/IP through the netshell command.
How to Fix a “Default Gateway Is Not Available” Error
- Author: helpdeskgeek.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 6510 Ratings )
- Match search results: If you have used a computer for any normal length of time, you will eventually experience various network-related issues on your Windows 10 PC. One of these possible issues is when your PC says “default gateway is not available”.
How to Fix the “Default Gateway Is Not Available” Error in Windows 10
- Author: softwarekeep.com
- Ratings: 3 ⭐ ( 8604 Ratings )
- Match search results: In this guide, you will learn 6 different methods on how to fix the error “Default Gateway Is Not Available” in Windows 10. Click here to get started.
[Solved] Fix The Default Gateway is Not Available Error – TechWhoop
- Author: www.techwhoop.com
- Ratings: 4 ⭐ ( 2488 Ratings )
- Match search results: Learn how to fix “Default Gateway is Not Available” issue with our detailed guide that we have specially compiled for you. Do give each method a try.
See more articles in this category: Computer tips