Having trouble with Firefox not responding on startup? Here’s how to fix unresponsive Firefox.
You are watching : how to fix firefox not responding
Fix firefox not responding
If you are looking for a powerful browsing experience, then Firefox It will be your best choice. The rich appearance of the browser and the support for extensions attract many audiences around the world. However, that also doesn’t mean she doesn’t have issues. Sometimes you may encounter Firefox not responding issue. If you are also facing the same problem, don’t worry! You are not alone. You can fix this problem yourself with easy and effective troubleshooting methods by following the methods in this article. So, keep reading to fix Firefox not responding on startup.
How to fix Firefox not responding
Here are some of the reasons why this problem occurs. There are many circumstances where Firefox is not responding to startup problem. However, some common and frequent causes are listed below. Analyze the cause of the problem and follow the troubleshooting methods accordingly.
- Bad internet connection.
- Some mandatory rights (file creation/access rights) are not granted to Firefox on Windows 10 PC.
- The Firefox profile folder is locked on your computer.
- Firefox or system files are corrupt.
- If there are too many freeware converters (e.g. Word to PDF, JPEG to PNG, etc.) running in the background at the same time.
- Misconfigured database files in Firefox.
- Incompatible add-ons and features.
- The presence of malware and viruses.
- Firefox antivirus blocks.
- Firefox interferes with other browser settings.
- Multiple tabs are open at the same time.
Anyway, you can easily fix this problem by following the methods given below.
In this section, you will learn several effective troubleshooting methods that will help you solve the problem mentioned. Follow them in the same order, and since they are categorized from basic to advanced troubleshooting methods, you can achieve perfect results even with the first two or three methods.
Basic troubleshooting tips
Before trying advanced troubleshooting methods, try these basic troubleshooting methods. Even the most basic method would fix the problem quickly and easily.
- Check if your system is connected to a proper internet connection.
- Close unnecessary tabs and Firefox windows if there are too many tabs.
- Restart the Firefox browser by closing all browser windows. Also, you can end all Firefox processes in Task Manager.
- Try opening Firefox in troubleshooting mode. To do this, hold down the Shift key while starting the browser.
Method 3: Switch to default theme (if applicable)
There are many custom themes in Firefox, such as Dark Theme, Firefox Alpenglow, Light, Rawrr!, That’s So Fire, and more. It may look creative and appealing. But it can make the browser unstable which leads to this issue. If you have other browser themes instead of the default system theme, follow the steps below to switch to the default theme as given below to fix Firefox not responding issue.
1. Click on Windows key. Type Firefox and open it.
2. Click Menu icon As shown.
3. Then select an option Add-ons and features As shown.
NOTE: You can also press Ctrl + Shift + A simultaneously to open the Add-ons and Themes page.
4. Then select Option Themes In the right pane, click on Enable button Next to System theme – automatic theme As shown.< /p>
5. Restart Firefox And verify that Firefox is not responding to the startup problem.
Method 2: Enable appropriate access rights
If your computer’s Firefox profile folder does not give proper rights to access, write, copy, or move files, you will experience a Firefox not responding issue. First, check if the files and folders in your Firefox profile have the correct access rights. If not, fix it by following the instructions below.
1. Press and hold Windows Key + E together to open مستكشف الملفات.
2. Now paste the following path in the address bar.
3. Now right click profile folder and select Choose properties as shown.
4. At the Profile Properties window, uncheck the Read-only (Applies only to files in the folder) box in the General tab as shown below. p>
5. Finally, click “Apply” > “OK” To save the changes and restart the computer.
Method 3: Delete Parent.Lock file in profile folder
When the Firefox browser crashes or closes, a Firefox lock file is automatically created in the profile folder. This file will not allow you to run Firefox properly, which will cause Firefox to respond to startup issues. To solve the problem, delete the Parent.Lock file in the Firefox profile folder, as shown below.
NOTE: Close all Firefox windows before following these steps.
1. As shown in the method above, open File Explorer and skip to the next track.
2. Next, search for Parent.Lock file By typing it in a search profiles field as shown.
3. Then select All Files Parent.Lock And click Delete button As shown.
4. Now close the browser And restart your computer your and check if Firefox Not responding on startup or not.
Method XNUMX: Run a malware scan
Malware and virus attacks can be the most likely cause of Firefox being unresponsive. Viruses can intrude and modify some important files in the Firefox folder, causing various problems. Perform the steps below with Windows Defender to check your system.
1. Press and hold Windows Key + I together to open Settings.
2. Here, click Update & Security, as shown.
3. Then select a Windows Security option from the right pane.
4. Next, select a Virus and Risk Protection option from the Protection Zones.
5. Click Options Scanning , as shown.
6. Choose the scanning option according to your preference and click Scan Now.
7a. If there are any threats, click start action Under Current Threats.
7 b. If you have no threats in your system, the system will show an alert that no action is required as shown below.
Method XNUMX: Repair system files
You can automatically scan and repair system files by running System File Checker. SFC is an inbuilt tool that allows users to delete files and fix these errors. Then follow the steps below to fix the Firefox not responding issue.
1. Click on Windows key And type Command Prompt And click Run as administrator.
2. Click “Yes” at a User Account Control prompt.
3. Type the command chkdskC:/f/r/x And press The Enter key.
NOTE: If you are prompted with a message Chkdsk cannot run…the volume…is in use, then type Y and press Entrance.
4. Type sfc /scannow And press Enter key Run Check System File Checker.
NOTE: The system scan starts and takes two minutes. In the meantime, you can continue to perform other activities but be careful not to close the window by mistake.
5. When the scan is complete, you will see one of these messages:
- Windows Resource Protection found no integrity violations.
- Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
- Windows Resource Protection successfully found and repaired the corrupt files.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but could not repair some of them.
6. When the exam is complete, Restart the computer.
7. Again, run command prompt as administrator and execute the given commands one by one:
dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /scanhealth dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /restorehealth dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
NOTE: You must have a working internet connection to run DISM commands correctly.
Method 6: Update device drivers
If your system’s current drivers are incompatible or outdated with the browser, you will encounter this unresponsive error. Hence, it is advised to update your device and drivers to avoid the said issue.
1. Type Device Manager in the list Search Windows 10 and open it.
2. Double click Display Adapters to enlarge.
3. Now right-click Driver and click Update Driver.
4. Click Automatic Driver Search.
5 un. If the driver is outdated, the drivers will be updated to Latest version.
5b. If they are already in an update stage, the screen will display the following message, The best drivers for your device are already installed.
6. Click Close And restart the computer.
Check if Firefox not responding startup issue is resolved or not.
Method 7: Create a new location database
Firefox’s Places database contains data about autofill forms, bookmarks, saved passwords, browsing data and more. If this file is corrupted on your computer, you will encounter this problem quite often. You can try creating a new Places database by following the steps below.
NOTE: When you create a new Places database, all data (autofill forms, bookmarks, saved passwords, browsing data) stored in the previous file will be erased. It is advised to create a backup if necessary before following the steps mentioned below.
1. Run Firefox And click Menu button As I did before.
2. Now select Help Opportunity from the drop-down menu as shown.
3. Then select an option Troubleshooting Information from the list as shown.
4. Next, in the Application Basics table, scroll down to the list of profile folders in the list and press Open Folder Link As shown.
5. Zoom out File Manager And close Tabs in Firefox By clicking X icon. As shown.
6. Now launch Task Manager Click Ctrl + Shift + Esc Keys Together
7. Then in the Operations tab In the Task Management window Scroll down and find Firefox Tasks.
8. Now click Firefox Tasks running in the background.
9. Finally, click End Task Button as shown in the image above.
10. Go to Windows Explorer Window, scroll down and find places.sqlite.
11. Then right click on places.sqlite and rename it to something like places.sqlite.old.
Note 1: If you see the places.sqlite-journal file, rename it to places.sqlite-journal.old.
Note 2: Also, if you see places.sqlite-shm or places.sqlite-wal files listed, delete them. Generally, these files will not appear in the list if you close all Firefox processes.
12. Finally, Restart Firefox And check if Firefox not responding on startup is fixed or not.
Method 8: Delete session recovery files
All data from open windows, tabs, and other saved information in Firefox is stored in the session restore feature. All of these features are amazing until multiple copies of files are created which results in this issue. In this case, you should consider deleting these session restore files as shown below to fix Firefox not responding issue.
1. Open Firefox And type about:support In Address bar To open App Basics Table.
2. Scroll down and tap Open Folder Link Next to List of Profile Folders As shown.
3. Close All Firefox windows and processes as happened in Steps 6-9 in the previous way.
4. Again, go to Windows Explorer Window and click sessionstore.jsonlz4 . files (or something similar). Next, select Delete option as described below to delete files from your computer.
NOTE: You can only see files similar to sessionstore.jsonlz4 if you close all Firefox processes. Remember to exit Firefox windows when performing these steps.
5. Finally, Restart your browser And check if Firefox not responding on startup is fixed or not.
Method 9: Disable proxy
will use proxy servers to network switch, and the server may take some time to respond to your request. This may prevent Firefox from responding to the issue. There are several ways to disable proxy servers on your computer. However, the simplest method is described below.
1. Click Get started And type proxy And press Enter key.
2. Here, do Disable the following settings.
- Detect settings automatically
- Use the installation script
- Use a proxy server
3. Now launch Firefox Browser Again and check if Firefox not responding to startup issue is resolved or not.
NOTE: If not, try connecting your computer to another network such as Wi-Fi or a portable hotspot .
Method XNUMX: Disable VPN
If you want to hide your IP address for any reason, you can use VPN connections. Using untrusted VPN clients can interfere with the Firefox browser, leading to the issue discussed. Therefore, in this case, you are advised to disable your VPN client as given below to fix Firefox not responding or not working on right click.
1. Click on Windows Key And type VPN Settings In Windows Search Bar And click open.
2. At the Settings window Select VPN Connected (like vpn2).
3. Click Logout Button.
4. Now disable the toggle for the following VPN options under “Advanced Options”:
- Allow VPN on metered networks
- Allow VPN while roaming
Finally, check if Firefox is not responding startup issue is resolved.
Method 11: Temporarily disable your antivirus
If your anti-virus is interfering with Firefox’s processes, you’ll encounter a slow-response webpage. To resolve this problem, temporarily disable your anti-virus software. This guide explains the steps to temporarily disable Avast Antivirus antivirus software. Follow the steps according to your anti-virus software.
NOTE: Here Avast Free Antivirus is taken as an example. You can follow the steps according to your antivirus application.
1. Go to antivirus icon in Taskbar and right click on it.
2. Now select an option Control Avast shields, and you can Temporarily disable Avast using the following options:
- Disable for 10 minutes
- Disable for 1 hour
- And disable until the computer is restarted
- permanently disabled
3. Select the option According to your convenience Confirm the prompt on the screen.
4. Now back to the main window. here, I did Disable all Avast shields. activate Settings , Click job.
Method 3: Re-enable Firefox folder
You should have found a solution to this problem by implementing the methods mentioned above. However, if you encounter the same problem again, you can rename the old installer files, install a new executable from the Firefox webpage, and run the installer. This will definitely solve the problem. This method will be useful if you do not want to uninstall the Firefox package from the browser, but want to use a new installer file. Here are some instructions to restart Firefox installer files and fix Firefox not responding.
1. Visit Firefox Official Web Page Download Installation File.
2. Now close All Firefox operations بواسطة Task Manager (as shown in previous methods) And open File Explorer Click Windows key + E Together
3. Go to track C:\Program Files.
NOTE: Navigate to the path where Mozilla Firefox is installed.
4. Now right click Mozilla Firefox Folder and select an option Rename. Rename the folder to something like old files.
5. Now go to Downloads and double click to run Firefox file. The new executable.
6. Click Yes to Control Prompt In User Account.
7. Now click Reinstall Next Wave.
Method 13: Reinstall Firefox
As a nuclear option, it is advised to reinstall Firefox if none of the methods helped you fix the Firefox not responding issue. Here are some instructions for reinstalling the browser from your computer.
1. Click Windows Key And click Settings Icon.
2. Click Apps.
3. Scroll down and select Mozilla Firefox.
4. Click Uninstall.
Firefox – guides “768”/>
5. Again, click Uninstall in the pop-up window.
6. Click Yes to Control Prompt In User Account.
7. Now click Next button > in the Mozilla Firefox Uninstall Wizard.
8. Click Ok If prompted, close All Firefox Operations.
9. Now click Uninstall.
10. Finally, click “end” to close the wizard.
11. Type %localappdata% In Windows Search Bar And click open.
12. Now scroll down and tap on Mozilla folder. Then click on Remove option As shown.
13. Again, type %appadata% In Windows Search Bar And open it.
14. Scroll down and click on Mozilla folder. Then click on Remove option As I did before.
15. Then sign Restart Computer Your.
16. Download and install Firefox Browser من official site.
Method 14: Contact the community support forum
If you are unable to solve the problem by any of the above methods, you can seek help from Community support forum for Firefox crashes. Log in with your Firefox account. Enter the problem details and post the question.
We hope you found this guide helpful and that you can fix unresponsive Firefox. Let us know which method works best for you. Keep visiting our page for more great tips and tricks, and leave your comments below. Tell us what topic you want us to explore next.
All the tips mentioned here are informative and have been translated from foreign websites, and it is necessary to consult the specialists see page
Notice of copyright of Ahlaom.com
See more information related to the topic how to fix unresponsive firefox
How To Fix Mozilla Firefox Unresponsive Script Error
- Author: MDTechVideos
- Post date: 2016-12-29
- Ratings: 4 ⭐ ( 3196 ratings )
- Match search results: If your Firefox web browser is not responding, and you are getting a warning saying “Unresponsive Script Error”, this tutorial should hopefully resolve your issue.
This tutorial will apply for computers, laptops, desktops,and tablets running the Windows 10, Windows 8/8.1,Windows 7 operating systems.Works for all major computer manufactures (Dell, HP, Acer, Asus, Toshiba, Lenovo, Samsung).
How to fix the Mozilla Firefox browser when it becomes unresponsive
- Author: www.techyv.com
- Ratings: 4 ⭐ ( 9241 ratings )
- Match search results: Sometimes Mozilla Firefox browser becomes unresponsive. So, I would like to know the reasons behind it. I would appreciate if anyone tell me the way to circumvent those troubles? I am also seeking your help to fix this problem.
How To Fix Firefox Not Responding Windows 7?
- Author: www.programatium.com
- Ratings: 4 ⭐ ( 9120 ratings )
- Match search results:
Fix: Firefox is not responding
- Author: appuals.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 8493 ratings )
- Match search results: A surprising amount of users report having problems with Mozilla Firefox on Windows 10, considering the fact that this browser is widely considered the
Firefox hangs or is not responding – How to fix
- Author: support.mozilla.org
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 9149 ratings )
- Match search results: When Firefox hangs, it stops responding to your clicks and doesn’t seem to do anything. This article covers the various solutions depending on when they happen.
How to fix Firefox not responding problem on Windows
- Author: itigic.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 3597 ratings )
- Match search results: Depending on our priorities or ways of using the internet, when choosing our browser we opt for the one that best suits our needs. For example, if we prioritize privacy, one of the most interesting options here is Mozilla Firefox . Despite not being far from the most used proposal in the world, it is
Firefox Not Responding? Here Are 4 Effective Fixes for You
- Author: www.partitionwizard.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 7923 ratings )
- Match search results: If you are a Mozilla Firefox browser user, you may be familiar with Firefox not responding error. How to fix it? Here are some solutions to fix it.
See more articles in this category: Computer tips