Learn how to repair Windows 10 for free with Startup Repair, SFC /Scannow, Command Prompt and other 6 methods. Repair Windows 10 boot, corrupt system files and more!
You are watching : how to fix windows 10 bios
When your Windows 10 computer is not working well, cannot boot, freezes, or has black/blue screen errors, steps can be taken to fix Windows 10 problems to get your computer back to normal. regular.
Microsoft offers free and built-in Windows 10 repair tools to help you fix Windows 10 problems, including Startup Repair, SFC Scannow, Reset this PC, System Restore, and more. However, other leading third-party Windows 10 repair tools are also available.
This article collects 6 best methods to help you fix Windows 10 issues, namely, Repair Windows 10 with Win 10 Startup Repair, SFC /Scannow, System Restore, Reset, Reinstall and BootRec commands . A detailed guide on how to repair Windows 10 and recover lost/deleted files/data from Windows 10 is also included.
How to fix Windows 10 for free with 6 methods
- Repair Windows 10 using Startup Repair
- Repair Windows 10 with SFC /Scannow
- Repair Windows 10 for free by rebooting the PC
- Repair Windows 10 for free via System Restore
- Fix Windows 10 Boot Problems with BootRec Commands
- Reinstall Windows 10 to repair Windows 10
If your Windows 10 computer cannot start successfully or does not start properly, try the Windows built-in tool, Startup Repair, to fix this problem.
Windows 10 Startup Repair is designed to help users fix problems that prevent Windows 10 from loading. Use this free Windows 10 repair tool to fix most Windows 10 startup problems. See the step by step guide below.
Step 1 – Enter Windows Recovery Environment
Generally, there are three ways to access the Windows 10 recovery environment.
1. You can turn your Windows 10 computer on and off three times to enter the Windows Recovery Environment.
You can turn on the computer, as soon as the Windows logo appears on the screen, immediately turn off the computer. Repeat this three times.
At the third time, the PC should boot into WinRE mode. Windows 10 Automatic Repair will attempt to diagnose and fix Windows 10 PC boot problems. However, if that fails, you can also press Advanced Options to access advanced boot options.
2. The second method to access Windows RE is to click on Start -> Settings -> Update and security -> Recovery -> Restart Now (under Advanced Startup).
These two methods allow you to repair Windows 10 without CD.
3. The third way to enter the Windows Recovery Environment is to use bootable media such as a bootable DVD/USB drive.
- You can plug Windows installation CD/DVD or bootable USB to computer, then boot Windows 10 PC.
- Then press Esc, Delete, F8, F2 or other necessary keys to enter the BIOS.
- Next, press the right arrow key to select the boot menu, then press the up arrow key /strong> or down on the keyboard to choose DVD or USB as the boot device and press + on the keyboard to move the selected boot device to the top of the boot list. Press the keyEnter to start the Windows 10 PC.
- Click Repair your computer to enter advanced options, so that you can use the startup repair tool to fix Windows 10 startup problems later.
This method can repair Windows 10 from USB.
Step 2 – Repair Win 10 for Free with Windows 10 Startup Repair
After entering WinRE, click as follows: Troubleshooting –> Advanced options -> Startup Repair.
The Windows 10 Startup Repair Tool will automatically diagnose and fix computer loading issues.
If your Windows 10 PC has no boot problem, it will also show a message “Startup repair could not repair your PC”.
Tip: Windows 10 PC won’t boot and Windows 10 black screen issue can also be caused by master boot record (
Windows 10 PC won’t boot and Windows 10 black screen issue can also be caused by master boot record ( MBR ) An easy way to repair Windows 10 boot is to fix MBR on Windows 10
If your Windows 10 PC has problems starting up or if the Windows 10 PC is not working properly, some system files may be lost or corrupted.
To repair Windows 10 using Command Prompt, one method is to use SFC /Scannow of Windows 10.
SFC (System File Checker) is a command-line utility built into Windows that is designed to help users repair files missing or corrupt system. Check the detailed steps below.
Case 1: Windows 10 has a good Windows image
If your Windows 10 PC has a good Windows image, you can directly run the SFC command utility to repair common issues that prevent Windows 10 from working properly.
Step 1. Open Windows Command Prompt
To use SFC to repair Windows 10, you must first access Windows Command Prompt.
- You can press the Windows + R keys on the keyboard -> Type cmd in the Run window and press Enter -> Click Yes to run Command Prompt as administrator.
- Or you can click Start and type cmd or command prompt -> Right-click on the top result Command Prompt and select Run as administrator to open Windows 10 Command Prompt.< /li>
Step 2. Run SFC /Scannow to repair Windows 10 for free
Then, in the Command Prompt window, type this command line: sfc /scannow, then press Enter.
Then the best Windows 10 repair tool i.e. System File Checker will start to scan all protected system files and repair detected corrupt files in Windows 10.
Once the verification is 100% complete, you can check the scan results to see if any errors were found. If errors are detected, try to fix everything by running the SFC command several times.
Generally, you will receive one of the messages below once the Windows 10 SFC scanning process is complete.
- Windows Resource Protection found no integrity violations.
- Windows Resource Protection failed to perform the requested operation. (In this case, you can boot Windows 10 in safe mode to try again, because SFC can work more efficiently in safe mode).
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them successfully.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but failed to repair some. Details are included in the CBS.Log file %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
Then restart your Windows 10 PC to see if it can boot up and run smoothly now.
To learn how to check the details of the SFC scan process and how to manually replace the detected corrupted system file with a good copy of the file, see the guide. using the Microsoft System File Checker tool.
Case 2: Windows 10 has a corrupt Windows image
SFC is a lightweight repair tool for Windows 10. It may not be able to fix some corrupt files.
For example, SFC fails to recover good copies of Windows 10 image files due to some corruption or errors. In this case, you can resort to the Windows command line utility DISM, which contains many other command lines< /span>, to repair Windows 10 install.wim image, and other errors that SFC cannot fix.
DISM is short for Deployment Image Servicing and Management. Use DISM command to install, uninstall, configure, and update Windows features, packages, drivers, settings, and more.
Related: How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image
Note: Although Windows 10 SFC and DISM command line tools are non-destructive tools, they make some changes to your Windows 10 system files and settings, so it is recommended to
Although Windows 10 SFC and DISM command line tools are non-destructive tools, they make some changes to your Windows 10 system files and settings, so it is recommended to make a full backup of your Windows 10 PC , as a preventive measure.
Click to tweet
If your Windows 10 PC is not working well due to errors in the recently installed application, driver or update, try resetting the PC to fix Windows 10 errors.
The Reset this PC feature will reinstall Windows 10, but it lets you choose to keep your personal files or remove them before reinstalling Windows.
Generally, there are three methods available to reset your Windows 10 PC.
Method 1. Reset Windows 10 PC from Settings
Step 1. Click Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery.
Step 2. Next, click the Get Started button, under Reset this PC.
Step 3. Choose the reset PC option that suits you. You can choose Keep my files or Delete everything according to your own needs, then click Reset.
The 5 different options for resetting Windows 10 PC are as follows:
- Keep my files –> Change settings -> Preinstalled Apps (Enabled): This option allows you to reinstall Windows 10 while keeping your personal files and restoring the apps that were preinstalled on your Windows 10 PC by the manufacturer. It will remove apps and drivers you have installed, as well as changes to settings.
- Keep my files –> Change settings -> Preinstalled Apps (Disabled): This option will reinstall your Windows 10 PC with all personal files reserved and all changes to apps, drivers and settings will be removed.
- Remove All –> Wipe Data (Enabled): This option will reinstall your Windows 10 PC by deleting everything including all personal files, apps, drivers and settings changes. Also, it will clean the drive. This option may take longer, but is useful when you want to get rid of or sell your PC, which makes it difficult to recover files/data on the PC.
- Remove All –> Wipe Data (Disabled): This option will remove everything on the drive from your PC and reinstall Windows 10. It will take less time.
- Restore factory settings: This will reinstall Windows 10 PC to the original version of your PC. This will restore Windows 10 to factory settings. This option is not available on all PCs.
Method 2. Reset Windows 10 PC from Login Screen
You can also reset Windows 10 PC from the login screen to fix Windows 10 issues.
Step 1. Enter WinRE.
You can boot your Windows 10 PC to enter the login screen. If you are logged in, press the Windows+L keys on the keyboard to access the login screen.
Next, press the Shift key and simultaneously click on Power ->> Reboot to the login screen, so as to reboot your Windows 10 into the Windows Recovery Environment.
Step 2. Reset PC to Repair Windows 10
Then click on Troubleshooting –> Reset this PC, then choose one of the options shown in Method 1 to reset Windows 10 PC to a normal and healthy state.
Method 3. Reset PC with Recovery Drive or Windows 10 Installation Media
If your Windows 10 PC isn’t working properly and you can’t get to the login screen, you may need to use a Windows 10 repair/recovery disc, drive, or installation media to reset the PC.
If your Windows 10 PC can’t boot and you haven’t created a recovery drive before, then you can first learn how to create one Windows 10 repair/recovery disk or drive. Next, plug in the Windows 10 recovery disk or drive to boot your Windows 10 PC from it.
After entering WinRE, click Troubleshoot –> Reset this PC to start resetting your Windows 10 PC to fix Windows 10 startup, black/blue screen or other issues.
Fix #4. Repair Windows 10 for free via System Restore
To repair and restore a Windows 10 PC with the System Restore, you still need to enter the Windows 10 Recovery Environment to access to the Windows 10 Advanced Boot Options menu.
Step 1. Follow the same 3 methods given in Fix 1 to access Windows 10 Advanced options window.
Step 2. In the advanced options window, click System Restore and the PC will restart.
Step 3. Select the account name and enter your account password. Then, click Continue.
Step 4. Next, select a system restore point and follow the instructions in the pop-up windows to perform Windows 10 repair and restore process.
Tip: System Restore can help fix Windows 10 issues that could be causing Windows 10 to run slowly, freeze, or crash. response from your computer. Repairing Windows 10 with System Restore does not affect personal files and data, but recently installed programs and drivers can be uninstalled.
Fix #5. Fix Windows 10 Boot Problems with BootRec Commands
You can also use Microsoft’s Bootrec.exe tool to repair Windows 10 boot problems.
Step 1. If your Windows 10 PC won’t start, follow the instructions in Step 1 to first enter the Windows Recovery Environment, then choose Prompt to commands in the advanced options screen to open the command prompt window.
Step 2. Next, type bootrec.exe and press Enter in Command Prompt to open the BootRec tool.
Step 3. Next, type these command lines below to repair Windows 10 boot problems. You need to press Enter key after typing each command line.
- Bootrec /fixmbr
- Bootrec /fixboot
- Bootrec /rebuildbcd
Fix #6. Reinstall Windows 10 to Repair Windows 10 for Free
If all measures fail to repair Windows 10, the last resort is to completely reinstall Windows 10.
This post gives detailed guides on how to easily reinstall Windows 10 without CD or USB, and how to reinstall Windows 10 from USB or CD. It also illustrates how to install Windows 10 without losing data.
>> How to easily reinstall Windows 10 without CD/USB (3 skills)
No matter what kind of errors your Windows 10 PC has and whether you can fix them or not, this method allows you to recover lost or deleted files from your Windows 10 PC.
MiniTool Power Data Recovery is 100% clean and free data recovery software for Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP.< /p>
This best free data recovery software allows you to easily recover deleted files or lost data from Windows 10, including Windows 10 PC that cannot be booted, or corrupted/damaged computer.
Besides restoring deleted/lost files from PC hard drive, this best free file undelete software for Windows 10 also allows you to recover data from external hard drive (corrupted, formatted, etc.), SSD, USB drive, USB pen, SD card and almost any data storage device.
Related: How to fix corrupted phone SD card and restore data (5 methods)
In a nutshell, you can use extremely easy-to-use MiniTool Power Data Recovery to easily recover lost data after system crash, hard drive failure/damage, accidental file deletion and almost any data loss situations.
Free download and install MiniTool Power Data Recovery on your Windows 10 computer, then follow the 3 simple steps below to recover data from Windows 10 whether or not you can fix Windows 10 problems.
Step 1 – Run Windows 10 Repair Tool
Open MiniTool Power Data Recovery to enter its main interface.
On the main interface, choose a storage device category from the left panel. This hard drive data recovery software mainly supports 4 types of storage devices, namely: This PC, Removable Disk Drive, Removable Disk Drive, hard drive, CD/DVD drive.
We click here on This PC because we are trying to recover data from your Windows 10 PC.
Step 2 – Scan Windows 10 PC hard drive
In the right panel, you can then select a partition of your Windows 10 PC. Click the Scan button at the bottom right to start scanning all lost/deleted files and of the chosen hard disk partition.
Step 3 – Recover lost/deleted files from Windows 10 PC
After the data scanning process is completed, you can check the scan result to find the lost/deleted files you want, check them and click Save button to store them in a new destination path.
You can also click Show Lost Files, Find, Filter on the toolbar to quickly find deleted files/ lost by name, extension, size, date, etc.
Tip: If your Windows 10 computer won’t boot and you can’t fix Windows 10 errors with the above 6 methods, please check this post to recover your important data from a PC that not working:
If your Windows 10 computer won’t boot and you can’t fix Windows 10 errors with the above 6 methods, please check this post to recover your data important from a non-working PC:How to recover data when PC won’t boot . Moreover, you can also choose to recover lost data/files before taking some of the Windows 10 repair measures, because some of the Windows 10 repair solutions like reinstalling Windows 10 may delete all old data on the PC drive.
Related: Windows 10 repair tools you might be interested in:
MiniTool Partition Wizard – A complete hard disk partition manager for Windows 10/8/7. You can use this tool to check and fix file system errors, check hard drive errors, create/resize/move/merge/split/format/wipe disk partition, convert disk between FAT and NTFS, MBR and GPT, copy disk, migrate OS to SSD/HD, test hard disk speed, analyze hard disk space and more.
MiniTool ShadowMaker – A professional backup tool that allows you to quickly backup files and folders, backup Windows operating system and hard drives, and safely restore (Windows 10) the system to its previous state when you need it. It also allows you to create a bootable media (USB key, CD/DVD or hard disk) to restore the operating system (Windows 10) to its previous state.
Click to tweet
This article provides 6 methods to help you fix Windows 10 errors. You can perform Windows 10 repair task with commands Windows 10 Startup Repair, SFC /Scannow, Reset this PC, System Restore, BootRec, Reinstall.
In addition, smart and free data recovery software for Windows 10 is also offered with a 3-step guide to help you recover data and files from your Windows 10 PC.
Still have trouble repairing Windows 10 and recovering data from Windows 10? Please contact [email protected].
FAQ on repairing Windows 10
How can I repair a corrupt Windows 10?
To repair corrupted system files in Windows 10, use Windows DISM tool and SFC tool for this purpose. The detailed guide is attached in patch 2 of this post.
How can I repair Windows 10 with Command Prompt?
You can open Command Prompt on top of Windows 10 and then use SFC commands Scannow, DISM , CHKDSK, BootRec to repair corrupt Windows 10 system files, disk errors, boot errors, etc. Some fixes are included in this tutorial with detailed guides.
How can I fix Windows 10 with USB?
You can create a Windows 10 Repair Bootable USB with the built-in Windows Backup and Restore feature or by using 3rd party Windows 10 backup and restore tools like MiniTool ShadowMaker. MiniTool ShadowMaker can backup Windows 10 to USB and repair Windows 10 with USB if your computer crashes or has other problems.
Can we still upgrade for free upgraded to Windows 10?
No. The free upgrade offer for Windows 10 ended on December 31, 2017. Now you need to pay at least $119 to get a Windows license. But you still have some methods to get Windows 10 for free. One of them is to download the Windows 10 installer ISO image and download the Windows 10 media creation tool to upgrade to Windows 10.
See more information related to the topic how to fix bios windows 10
How to Fix Windows 10 Startup Problem
- Author: Britec09
- Post date: 2016-11-05
- Ratings: 4 ⭐ ( 1501 ratings )
- Match search results: How to Fix Windows 10 Startup Problem
Follow this guide at your own risk, make sure you backup all your data before you continue.
Windows 10 Startup problems are very common. This can happen for a number of reasons.
Here are some of the most common reason why your computer system can’t boot to the desktop.
– Windows Update has not completed correctly or stopped / shutdown during the update process.
– Corrupt Windows Update
– Corrupt or Bad Driver
– Corrupt Program Install
– Corrupt Registry
– and Many More
Any of the above can cause BSOD Blue Screen of Death, Black Screen of Death, Infinite Boot Loop, frozen on startup, Stuck on Loading Screen, Stuck at Welcome Screen and many more.
If you have tried to boot to safemode and not been successful, the next step is to try and boot to Windows CD or USB, you can use a Windows Disc or Recovery Disc to boot to.
once you have booted to your device, you can choose Startup Repair and try and boot up, if your not successful, boot to your device again and try System Restore, if that does not work, boot to your USB or CD once more and choose Command Prompt, here will will try and restore the registry from the Regback folder.
Its important that you have a updated Regback files to restore from.
Once you open command prompt type the following commands.
copy *.* backup
copy *.* ..
Reboot computer and hopefully your system will startup. If you need help or advice, please join my forum.
How to access the BIOS settings on Windows 10?
- Author: answers.microsoft.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 5452 ratings )
- Match search results: Original title:- BIOS windows 10/ 7 So first a little background, My emachine running windows 7 was running very slow . I decided to do a factory reset on it. Which I have done before. This time
Solved: How to Fix cannot Enter BIOS in Windows 10
- Author: recoverit.wondershare.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 5131 ratings )
- Match search results: For the ones who are having trouble when it comes to accessing the BIOS, or simply can’t enter BIOS, we offer numerous solutions in the given article.
How to Fix Can’t Enter Bios on Windows 10
- Author: www.iskysoft.com
- Ratings: 3 ⭐ ( 8246 ratings )
- Match search results: In this article, we will help to solve the problem when you can’t enter BIOS (Basic Input Output System) on Windows 10 computer.
How to Enter BIOS on Windows 10
- Author: www.lifewire.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 7120 ratings )
- Match search results: Learn how to tap a specific key and access BIOS on a Windows 10 PC. You can enter BIOS in Windows 10 on startup.
Windows 10 Boot Repair: How to Fix UEFI Boot in Windows 11/10/8/7
- Author: www.easeus.com
- Ratings: 4 ⭐ ( 2070 ratings )
- Match search results: This article provides effective methods and detailed guides for Windows 10 boot repair. If you are having problems with UEFI bootloader and fail to boot your Windows 10/8/7 system, follow the useful solutions to fix UEFI boot on Windows 10.
[Expert’s Tip] Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device Windows 10, Fixes Here
- Author: www.tenorshare.com
- Ratings: 3 ⭐ ( 8684 ratings )
- Match search results:
See more articles in this category: Computer tips