You need a competent ✓ PC service for your company? PC-SPEZIALIST solves your ✓computer problems competently, transparently and reliably.
You are watching : turn a screen upside down
All of a sudden it happened. A random key combination allowed you to rotate the screen. But you really didn’t want that. But now the screen view is upside down or tilted on its side. What now? How does it work that the screen view is displayed correctly again? And how can you rotate the screen when you want to view portrait files.
In this guide, we explain how you can rotate your screen by 90 degrees or even 180 degrees and how to undo the whole thing.
Rotate screen – why at all?
Sometimes there are reasons why it makes sense that you rotate the screen. But it is not enough that you only turn the monitor. You also need to rotate the screen display. But why? Because it can be practical if the monitor is upright. Because the function is actually intended for you to be able to work more comfortably when editing long texts or presentations, for example. When the screen is turned upright, you can see more of your text. You can adjust the display in the Windows settings so that you not only turn the monitor, but also display the image correctly.
It is also possible that the screen was accidentally rotated. Even then you have to rotate the screen – this time backwards. There are two ways to do this: either via the Windows system settings or with the right key combination. However, they can vary depending on the Windows version and graphics card.
One wrong click and it’s done. The screen view is upside down. Good if you know how to rotate the screen again.
Windows 7, 8 and 10: Rotate screen with key combination
There are different keyboard shortcuts that you can use to quickly rotate the orientation of the screen display. They depend on the graphics card in your computer. Just try out which key combination is the right one for your computer.
CTRL+ALT+arrow key: Hold down the CTRL and ALT keys at the same time and also press one of the four arrow keys. With the arrow key up you get the usual setting, with the arrow key down you turn the display of the screen upside down. The left or right arrow keys rotate the image left or right. Unlike the way via the Windows system settings, you see the change in the screen display with the key combination immediately and you can change it again in no time at all. This key combination also works on laptops and notebooks and not only on desktop computers.
Other possible key combinations for rotating the screen display are:
+arrow key or CTRL+Shift key+arrow key.
The screen can be easily rotated via the system settings or by using a key combination.
Rotate screen Windows 10 – via system settings
If you work on two screens at the same time and mainly want to read long texts or view PDF files on one screen, then it makes sense to rotate the second screen. Then, of course, the ad should also appear upright. In addition to the key combinations, you can use the system settings to rotate your screen in Windows 10. Here’s how:
- Right click on an empty space on the desktop.
- Choose “Ad Settings”.
- Under “Orientation” select the desired format. Landscape is the default.
If you want to read a long text, it may be useful to rotate the screen.
Do you have a hardware problem with your laptop or are you unable to use an external device such as a mouse properly with your laptop? Or is there a problem with your laptop touchpad? Then come to a PC-SPEZIALIST local partner. We’ll be happy to help you quickly.
Rotate screen Windows 8
Of course, it can also happen under Windows 8 that the screen display is not in the optimal orientation. Of course you can also rotate the screen under Windows 8. The easiest way is to use the key combination Ctrl + Alt + Arrow up. If this shortcut doesn’t work, try Alt Gr + Up Arrow.
If this combination doesn’t work either, don’t panic. Your graphics card may not support the key combinations. Then change the orientation of the screen display manually. Do the following:
- From the Windows Start menu, select “Control Panel”.
- Click Appearance and Personalization
- Select “Display” and “Screen resolution”
- Under “Alignment” select “Horizontal”
- Click “Save” or “Apply” and the screen will rotate.
Rotate Windows 7 screen
The screen can also be rotated under Windows 7. We explain how this works below:
- Go to “Control Panel”
- Select “Appearance and Personalization” and click “Display”.
- You can only “Change display setting” or “Adjust resolution”.
- Both buttons take you to the “Screen resolution” menu.
- It’s a little quicker if you right-click on an empty spot on the desktop and select “Screen resolution”.
- Under the menu item “Orientation” you now have four options to choose from: landscape, portrait, landscape rotated, portrait rotated.
- Choose your preferred option, usually landscape format. A small monitor preview above the selection menu shows you how the selected option would appear on your screen.
- Now click “OK” and the image will switch to the newly selected orientation for a few seconds. If you want the alignment to remain the same, confirm your selection with “Keep changes”. Your screen should now be back in the orientation you need.
Depending on which orientation you choose, it is possible that not only will you see the image inverted, but that you will also find it difficult to control the mouse. But don’t panic: The image only stays “wrong” for a few seconds and then jumps back to the previous position – as long as you don’t click on “Keep changes”.
How to rotate the screen in Windows is also shown again this YouTube video:
Rotate Mac screen
It’s not as easy to accidentally rotate the Mac screen as it is on Windows. But even on the Mac computer from Apple it can happen that you have to turn your screen, for example because your presentation is planned upright.
On the Mac computer, however, the built-in screen cannot be rotated directly via the monitor rotate settings. This setting only appears if you connect an external monitor that you want to rotate. Then it works as follows: “System settings”, “Displays” and there you select the type of rotation: Standard, 90°, 180°, 270°.
If you want to rotate the screen of MacBook and iMac, you need a additional program. It’s easy if you rotate the Mac screen with the free software “Display Rotation Menu” from Mage Software, the works from Mac OS 10.4. After downloading, the program displays a small icon at the top of the Apple menu. If you now click on the small symbol, you can rotate your screen, whereby the resolution will be adjusted automatically.
After you have rotated your display with a program such as “Display Rotation Menu”, this option is also available in the monitor settings. settings available. Now you can change the screen view via the settings. This makes sense especially when the screen is rotated and you can no longer see the icon because it has slipped out of the screen area and can no longer be clicked. Also useful: As soon as you use a program like “Display Rotation Menu”, you also have a key combination available for this: Press Apple (cmd) + ALT + CTRL + 0 and your screen rotates back to the normal view.
Need help adjusting your computer screen? Then also read the article keyboard combination, Rotate screen,Windows 10 is upside down and Picture wrong?. Were you able to rotate the screen, but now you can’t change it to a different orientation? Then come to PC-SPEZIALIST. Our technicians will solve your computer problem professionally and competently.
See more information related to the topic turn a screen upside down
How to Fix an Upside Down Screen on Windows 10
- Author: Britec09
- Post date: 2018-04-17
- Ratings: 4 ⭐ ( 8698 Ratings )
- Match search results: How to Fix an Upside Down Screen on Windows 10
Very quick and easy fix for someone who has started up their computer to a upside down screen.
Select Start / Settings / System / Display, and choose a screen orientation from the drop-down list labelled Orientation or inverted screen. Select Landscape from the orientation menu.
This works in Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10.
Need a problem with your computer fixed?
join our forum
How to Turn Your Computer Screen Upside Down
- Author: www.wikihow.com
- Ratings: 4 ⭐ ( 1922 Ratings )
- Match search results: Have you ever needed to flip your computer display upside down? Maybe you need to view graphics from another angle, or maybe you need to adjust for an awkwardly-mounted screen. Or, maybe you’d like to play a prank on a co-worker, friend,…
Upside down display: Windows 10, on laptop, Mac
- Author: ccm.net
- Ratings: 3 ⭐ ( 9167 Ratings )
- Match search results: Sometimes, by pressing some keys by mistake, the screen of your PC can be turned upside down.In this FAQ, we will explain how to fix your computer screen when this happens.
How to change the Screen Orientation (when display image is upside-down)
- Author: support.lenovo.com
- Ratings: 4 ⭐ ( 6256 Ratings )
- Match search results:
Solutions of Screen upside down Windows 10
- Author: www.isunshare.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 2738 Ratings )
- Match search results:
Screen Upside Down? Here’s How to Rotate a Screen in Windows 10
- Author: winbuzzer.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 7561 Ratings )
- Match search results: Screen upside down or turned sideways? We show you how to rotate your screen in Windows 10 so you can stop craning your neck.
How to Rotate (or Flip) PC Screen in Windows
- Author: www.hp.com
- Ratings: 3 ⭐ ( 6304 Ratings )
- Match search results: Discover our HP® Tech Takes article on…. How To Rotate Or Flip PC Screen in Windows. Exploring today’s technology for tomorrow’s possibilities.
See more articles in this category: Computer tips