In this guide, we provide several ways to fix the mouse pointer jumping issue on Surface Pro 4.
You are watching : Pointer on laptop jumps around
The Surface Pro 4 is a really great device. Nevertheless, some users keep reporting problems with the mouse pointer. This jumps uncontrollably on the screen, which makes normal use of the device almost impossible. In this guide, we want to introduce you to several solutions.
Solution 1: Disable your touchscreen driver
According to some users, the problem is caused by a touchscreen driver. Please note that you will no longer be able to use the touchscreen afterwards. Only mouse and keyboard input is still possible! To uninstall the driver proceed as follows:
- PressWin+X and select Device Manager.
- Search for your touchscreen driver and right click on it. Now select the “Disable device” option.
- Close Device Manager.
Of course, this solution is not a permanent option.
Solution 2: Change the power options
- Press Win+S and look for the Control Panel.
- Navigates to Power Options.
- Click “Change plan settings”.
- Go to “Change advanced power settings”.
- Search for “When I close the lid” and “Plugged In” and change the setting to “Do nothing”.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
next to your current plan
Solution 3: Calibrate your screen
According to some users, this problem can be solved by calibrating the touchscreen. To do this, start the tablet PC settings (simply type in “calibrate the screen for pen or touch input” in the search) and click on the calibrate button. Follow the on-screen instructions to calibrate. After that the problems should be solved.
Solution 4: Remove the keyboard cover
Some users report that the problem only occurs with the keyboard cover. Therefore, you can solve the problem simply by removing the cover. To keep having a keyboard available, you should either buy a new cover or a Bluetooth keyboard.
Solution 5: Leave the Surface Pro 4 open while using it on the Surface Dock
The Surface Dock allows you to connect your Surface to an external display and connect various peripherals to it, but it seems that this issue occurs even when using the Surface Dock. Users reported that after closing and connecting Surface Pro 4 to Surface Dock, the mouse starts to jump. To fix this issue, make sure you don’t close the Surface Pro 4 while using the Surface Dock.
Solution 6: Make sure the pen is not attached to the device
A few users report that the mouse jumping only occurs when the pen is attached to the Type Cover. This seems like an easy workaround, but I think it’s worth a try.
Solution 7: Install the latest updates
Many problems can usually be solved with the latest updates. Although Windows 10 automatically installs the latest updates, it doesn’t hurt to check for new versions manually. To do this, proceed as follows:
- Opens the Settings.
- Navigate to Update & Security and click on “Check for updates”.
If updates are available, they will now be downloaded and installed automatically.
Solution 8: Make sure your hands are not touching the touchpad
If your mouse starts to jump, the problem could be with your touchpad. It can happen from time to time that you accidentally touch the touchpad while typing and random mouse movements occur. So make sure your hands don’t touch the touchpad. This may seem obvious at first glance, but it’s still worth a try.
Solution 9: Disable the touchpad
If the problems are related to the cover’s touchpad and you are using an external mouse, you can easily disable the touchpad. To do this, proceed as follows:
- Opens the Settings.
- Navigates to Devices.
- In the menu on the left, select Touchpad.
- Uncheck the option “Keep the touchpad on when a mouse is connected”.
Now the touchpad should turn off every time you connect an external mouse.
Solution 10: Disconnect your wireless mouse
If you’re having issues with a wireless mouse, disconnect the wireless mouse and see if the issue is resolved. If so, you should probably buy a wired mouse.
Solution 11: Keep your Surface Pro 4 away from the power adapter
For some users, the mouse would only jump when the device was charging. The problem was solved by removing the power supply as far as possible.
If none of the above solutions help, you should contact Microsoft and think about replacing the device.
Did this guide help you? Do you have any suggestions or criticism?
See more information related to the topic Pointer on laptop jumps around
SHAKING/JUMPING OF MOUSE CURSOR PROBLEM SOLVING METHODS IN WINDOWS 10
- Author: COOLtheGuide
- Post date: 2020-07-14
- Ratings: 4 ⭐ ( 4627 Ratings )
- Match search results: In this video,
I will show you “How to stop shaking/jumping of mouse cursor” or any such problem.
There are two methods for solution.
Please watch the video till end.
Don’t forget to like and subscribe.
Solved: Laptop Cursor Jumping
- Author: www.dell.com
- Ratings: 3 ⭐ ( 3702 Ratings )
- Match search results: Solved: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 14R 5420 with Windows 7 64-bit. The touchpad cursor jumps around, and I cannot type properly. The system says my
Windows 10, ASUS laptop, cursor keeps jumping around
- Author: answers.microsoft.com
- Ratings: 4 ⭐ ( 7904 Ratings )
- Match search results: Whenever I’m typing on my laptop, my cursor starts jumping around like crazy. This is very annoying as I’m a writer and on my laptop a lot and this causes me to delete stuff and/or randomly type in
How to Fix Mouse Jumping Around Windows 10 [5 Solutions]
- Author: www.partitionwizard.com
- Ratings: 3 ⭐ ( 4071 Ratings )
- Match search results: Have you come across mouse jumping around Windows 10? What cause it? How to fix mouse jumping around? This post will provide you with several effective fixes.
Computer Cursor Keeps Jumping Around – What To Do
- Author: www.alphr.com
- Ratings: 4 ⭐ ( 5322 Ratings )
- Match search results: For computers, the keyboard and mouse combination is the perfect way to control it. Until we can control computers by pure thought anyway. For such a simple device, the mouse causes quite a few issues in Windows 10, way more
HP Notebook PCs – Cursor Jumps Around on the Screen
- Author: support.hp.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 2512 Ratings )
- Match search results: This document provides softpaq links to correct a jumping cursor.
Cursor randomly jumps around screen
- Author: h30434.www3.hp.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 2313 Ratings )
- Match search results: Solved: The cursor randomly jumps around the screen while at idle and while I am using it. One example, if I am in an excel spreadsheet and trying to – 6061146
See more articles in this category: Computer tips