It’s the right place for you if you don’t know where is the recycle bin in Windows 10: it tells you where the recycle bin is located.
You are watching : File Folder or Recycle Bin
Where is the recycle bin in Windows 10?
Microsoft has designed a recycle bin for its system to keep the items that users have filed for deletion and has named this unit the recycle bin. Recycle Bin, Microsoft’s current recycle bin system, was introduced in 1995 with Windows 95. The files and folders deleted from Windows computer are moved to Recycle Bin and kept there for a while unless Recycle Bin reaches its limit or users empty Recycle Bin. In short, Windows Recycle Bin offers users a second chance to easily recover the accidentally deleted data.
Location of Windows 10 Recycle Bin
Where is Windows 10 Recycle Bin?
Some users will ask: “Where is my Recycle Bin”, “Where is the Recycle Bin in Windows 10”, “How do I find the Recycle Bin?” etc. Such questions are easy to answer – er is on your desktop!
The Windows system places the recycle bin on the desktop. In general, you can easily see the recycle bin icon (shortcut for the recycle bin) every time you successfully start Windows. The default Windows 10 recycle bin is located in the top-left corner of your PC screen.
Please read the contents of this link to learn more about the Windows 11 recycle bin icon.
How to find and open Recycle Bin Windows 10
After telling you where is the recycle bin, I want to show you some tips on how to find the recycle bin in Windows 10.
As mentioned earlier, the most direct way to find the Windows 10 Recycle Bin is to find the desktop Recycle Bin icon in the top left corner of the desktop computer/laptop screen. The most direct way to open the recycle bin on Windows 10 is to use the desktop icon.
- Double-click the trash can icon on your desktop to access it.
- Select the desktop icon of the recycle bin and press Enter on your keyboard.
- Right-click the trash can icon and select Open from the context menu that appears.
There are some other ways that users usually use to find and open the Recycle Bin on a Windows 10 computer.
Method 1: Search the recycle bin on Windows 10.
- Click the search box on the taskbar or press Windows + S to open the Windows search window.
- Type trash in the Type here to search text box.
- Click on the Trash app in the search result.
Method 2: Open the Recycle Bin in File Explorer.
- Open File Exploreron your computer as usual. The easiest way is to press Windows + E.
- Type Trash in the address bar above.
- Press Enter and the recycle bin will open immediately.
You can also click the arrow in front of Quick Access and select Recycle Bin from the drop-down list.
[Solved] Windows Explorer needs to be restarted
Method 3: Access the Windows 10 Recycle Bin with Run.
- Right click on the Start icon (in the lower left corner).
- Select Run from the pop-up menu. You can also press Windows + R to directly open the Run dialog
- Type exe shell:RecycleBinFolder.
- Click the OK button or press Enter.
You can also use shell:desktop Type in the text box. Then press Enter-> browse the items and locate the Recycle Bin -> double-click the trash icon or right-click it and select Open/Open in new window.
Method 4: Open the PowerShell Recycle Bin.
- Press Windows + X to open the WinX menu.
- Select Windows PowerShell
- Type start shell:RecycleBinFolder and press Enter.
[Fixed] WinX menu not working in Windows 10
In addition, if you have added the recycle bin as a shortcut to the start menu, taskbar or file explorer in Windows 10, you can open it directly by clicking the icon. p>
Trash icon is missing from Windows 10 desktop
What if you can’t find the Recycle Bin on the desktop? In other words, the recycle bin icon has disappeared from the Windows 10 desktop.
Situation 1: All desktop icons are gone.
If all icons are missing from your desktop, try this way to fix it.
- Right-click an empty area on your desktop.
- Select View.
- If you don’t see a check mark in front of the Show desktop icons option, click to add one.
- Your desktop icons will reappear immediately.
from the context menu
You can also repeat this process to hide the Windows 10 recycle bin and other icons if needed.
Situation 2: Only the desktop icon of the recycle bin has disappeared.
If you only lose the Trash on the desktop, consider that it has been hidden somehow. Follow the steps below to check it:
- Press Windows + I to open the Settings app
- In the settings window, select Personalization. You can also right-click on an empty area of the desktop and select Personalize.
- In the left pane, navigate to the Themes option.
- In the right pane, scroll down to find the Related Settingssection.
- Click the Desktop Icon Settings link below it. This will open the Desktop Icon Settings window.
- Look at the desktop icons to verify if the Trash option is enabled. If it isn’t, click on it and then click the OK.
button to confirm
Open the desktop icon settings window and disable the recycle bin to hide the recycle bin desktop icon again.
Caution: Windows does not display your desktop icons when you are in tablet mode.
Microsoft designed Windows 10 to run on both desktop and mobile devices. Your computer may go into tablet mode where no desktop icons are displayed. Therefore, you should check if you are in tablet mode with these steps:
- Click the Start button on the bottom left corner of your computer screen or press the Start button (with a Windows logo on it) on your keyboard.
- Navigate to the Settings icon (looks like a gear) and click on it.
- Select System from the settings window.
- In the left pane, select Tablet mode
- In the right pane, look for the Hide app icons in the taskbar in tablet mode options and the Auto-hide the taskbar in tablet mode options.
- Make sure these 2 options are unchecked. If they are set to On, please switch the switch to Off.
How to show the recycle-bin in Windows 10
What can you do if you can’t find the recycle bin? You can also try showing it in File Explorer or pinning it to your start menu/taskbar for easier access.
Click to tweet
How to show the Recycle Bin in File Explorer
- Open File Explorer in any way.
- Right click on any empty section in the left pane.
- In the context menu that appears, click Show all folders.
- Then Trash option will appear in the left pane.
How to pin the trash can shortcut
To pin the Recycle Bin to your Start menu:
- Make the trash icon appear on your desktop.
- Right click on the Recycle Bin and select Pin to Start.
- The shortcut to the recycle bin will be added to your start menu.
Then, you can open the Start menu to view the Recycle Bin by clicking the Start button in the lower-left corner or by pressing the Start button (Windows logo) on the keyboard.
To pin the Recycle Bin to the taskbar:
- Right-click on your taskbar.
- Look for Lock the taskbars If it is enabled, please click to disable it.
- Right click on the empty space on your desktop.
- Select New -> Folder.
- Rename the folder to Trash
- Drag your Trash icon into this folder.
- Right-click on the taskbar and select Toolbars -> New Toolbar.
- Browse to the Trash folder you created and click Select Folder.
- The shortcut to the recycle bin will be added to your taskbar.
Then you can right-click the trash can shortcut and click Show Text and Show Title to disable them to only show the trash can icon in the Show taskbar.
$Recycle Bin Folder Windows 10
Another aspect of the location of the Recycle Bin is the location of the $Recycle Bin folder. What is the $Trash folder? Where is the $Recycle Bin folder on your Windows 10 computer? How do I find the folder named $Trash?
What is $Recycle Bin?
Users claim that sometimes they see $Trash or $Trash folder on local drive or external hard drive. What does it mean? $Trash folder is a built-in feature that Windows users can use to recover their deleted files or folders. The $Trash is an important system folder, so it is hidden by default. In other words, users cannot see this folder on Windows 10 unless the settings are changed (manually or through an application).
The $Recycle Bin folder is located on each drive of hard drive C:, D: E: etc. It is the location on the drive where items you delete are saved. The $Trash works just like your Trash icon: you can drag files and folders directly into this folder, or easily recover deleted items from it.
Don’t worry. The $Recycle Bin or $Recycle Bin folder is not a virus. Visit this page to learn more about how to delete or remove the $Trash folder.
To view the $Trash folder
Where is my recycle bin? The $Trash folder is hidden by default on your system, so you must first change the folder options to see it.
- Press Windows + S.
- Type Explorer Options and press Enter.
- Switch to the View tab at the top.
- Uncheck Hide protected system files (recommended).
- In the Warning window, click Yes.
- Then you can see the $Trash folder in File Explorer.
How to recreate the recycle bin on the desktop
- Press Windows + E to open File Explorer.
- Select Local Drive (C:).
- Right-click $Trash.
- Select Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut).
Repair Recycle Bin
How to fix if the Recycle Bin folder is corrupt or corrupt?
- Press Windows + S.
- Type cmd
- Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Type rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.Bin and press Enter.
- You can also run these commands individually: exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth, DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and sfc /scannow .
How to use DISM Restore Health command to repair Windows?
That’s all about where the Recycle Bin is located in Windows 10.
Don’t worry if you lost files on Windows 10 and still find them useful, or lost your important folders due to virus attack or other reasons. You can check the recycle bin first. Then you can use a third-party data recovery tool to help you if needed.
How to recover deleted data from Recycle Bin
Step 1: Open the Recycle Bin on your Windows 10 computer.
- Double-click the Recycle Bin desktop icon.
- Select Trash and press Enter.
- Right click on the Recycle Bin and select Open.
Step 2: Recover deleted files (images, documents, photos, videos, etc.).
- Select the items you want to restore, right click on them and select Restore.
- Select the items you want to restore and drag & Drop to the desired location.
How to recover deleted/lost data that you can’t find in Recycle Bin
What should you do if you’ve emptied the Recycle Bin or can’t find the files you need there? Please download a powerful data recovery tool that supports Windows 10 and then install it properly on your device.
MiniTool Power Data Recovery is a good choice for users of popular Windows systems: Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7. (If you want recover deleted files on Mac, get Stellar Data Recovery instead for Mac.)
Download for free
Then finish these simple steps to recover deleted videos, documents or pictures.
- Start the recovery tool.
- Keep This PC in the left sidebar and Logical Drives selected in the right pane.
- Specify the drive where your deleted files were saved before deletion.
- Double-click the target drive to start a scan immediately, then wait.
- Browse the scan results: The deleted items will be in the Deleted Files
- Check the files and folders you want to restore and click the Save button at the bottom right.
- Choose a storage path for the files to be restored and confirm with OK.
- Wait for the restore to complete.
Please click here if you want to learn more about how to recover permanently deleted files.
Click to tweet
Customize your Windows 10 recycle bin as needed
Why are some files sent to the Recycle Bin and others not? The main reasons are:
- The files are too big for the recycle bin.
- Files deleted from external drives are not sent to the recycle bin.
- Users set the system to remove files immediately.
Also, some files will be automatically removed from the Recycle Bin if the total size of the files in the Recycle Bin exceeds the maximum size limit.
How to change the size limit for the recycle bin or tell the system not to put any files in the recycle bin?
- Right-click the Recycle Bin desktop icon.
- Select Properties.
- Enter a location for the recycle bin
- Locate the Settings for the selected path. Then enable Custom size (you can manage the maximum size manually) or Delete files immediately (don’t move them to the recycle bin).
- Click OK to confirm.
You can also choose whether you want to show the delete confirmation dialog by ticking/unticking this option below.
The recycle bin is a very important entity in operating systems like Windows 10 and other operating systems. It is used to keep your deleted items for a certain period of time unless you need to recover them one day. This article will show you where is the Recycle Bin in Windows 10, how to view or repair the Recycle Bin in Windows 10, what is the $Recycle Bin folder and how to recover deleted files in Windows 10. Please read your section carefully again with interest.
How to Recover Deleted Files on PC – Step by Step Guide (Safe and Easy)
See more information related to the topic File Folder or Recycle Bin
How to fix deleted files not showing up in the recycle bin
- Author: Auslogics Software
- Post date: 2021-02-16
- Ratings: 4 ⭐ ( 7566 Ratings )
- Match search results: Auslogics File Recovery: https://www.auslogics.com/en/software/file-recovery/?m=youtube_recycle
Check all Auslogics products here: https://www.auslogics.com/en/software/?m=yotube_recycle
DeletedFilesNotShowingInRecycleBin RecoverDeletedFiles RecycleBinRecovery
Do you need to fix other PC issues?
Let us know in the comments below, and we might feature the solution in our next video.
There are some instances where we need to recover our deleted files. Thankfully, Windows users can do this by going through their Recycle Bin. This is a folder that functions as a repository of files that have been recently removed from File Explorer. However, some users reported that their deleted files are not in Recycle Bin on Windows 10.
What Happens to Deleted Files in Windows 10?
You can usually find deleted files inside the $Recycle.bin system folder. It is worth noting that this is a hidden folder in the root C: directory. So, if you’re planning to access it from that directory, you would need to make some adjustments in File Explorer. However, there’s a shortcut of the system folder on the Windows 10 desktop, making it convenient for you to access your recently deleted files.
If you notice that the files you’ve been deleting are not ending up in the Recycle Bin, then you’ve probably erased them without letting them go in the bin first. Learning how to restore deleted files not in Recycle Bin is not that complicated. What you’d have to do is ensure that all the files you delete will end up in the Recycle Bin. In this article, we will teach you the things you should avoid and the steps you must take to ensure that you can still restore files from the bin.
Tip 1: Avoid pressing the Shift key when you’re deleting files
Sometimes, users discover that their recently deleted files are not in recycle bin on Windows 10 because they unknowingly bypassed the folder. If the same thing happened to you, you probably pressed the Shift key while you were deleting a file. When you hold that key, you can erase a file without sending it to the recycling bin first. So, it is important that you avoid pressing the Shift key while you’re removing a file.
Tip 2: Be mindful of the files you delete from your flash drive
Keep in mind that USB flash drives do not have $Recycle.bin folders. It is true that files can be deleted and sent to the Recycle Bin from other HDD partitions. However, when you delete files from a USB flash drive, the data won’t end up in the bin. So, before you delete anything from your flash drive, make sure you won’t need them in the future. Otherwise, you should save a copy in a folder in your hard drive before you remove the file.
To ensure that you would be able to use your flash drive without any hassle, it would be best if you update your drivers. Doing this manually can be complicated and time-consuming. As such, we suggest automating the process, using a one-click solution like Auslogics Driver Updater. What’s great about this tool is that it takes care of all outdated, corrupted, and missing drivers. So, once the process is complete, you can expect your PC to perform better and faster.
Tip 3: Avoid deleting files through the Command Prompt
You should also know that the Command Prompt does not use the Recycle Bin. So, when you delete files via this program, you are bypassing the bin. To put it another way, when you need the files to go in the Recycle Bin when you remove them, you should avoid erasing them through the Command Prompt.
Tip 4: Make sure that the ‘Don’t move files to the Recycle Bin’ option is not activated
In some cases, the deleted files do not end up in the Recycle Bin because of the settings of this system folder. What you’d have to do is to ensure that the ‘Don’t move files to the Recycle Bin’ option is not selected in the settings.
Tip 5: Increasing the allotted data size for Recycle Bin files
When you open the Properties window of Recycle Bin, you will see a Custom Size option. This allows you to adjust the maximum size of files allowed in the bin. If you happen to delete a file with a size bigger than the Recycle Bin limit, then it wouldn’t be sent to the bin.
Tip 6: Resetting the Recycle Bin
If deleted files do not end up in the Recycle Bin, it is possible that this system folder is corrupted. It is not difficult to learn how to repair corrupted Recycle Bin in Windows 10
Tip 7: Use Auslogics File Recovery
If you mistakenly clear a folder or you lose important files because of a virus attack, we recommend using Auslogics File Recovery. Don’t worry because the files you thought were lost for good can still be retrieved with the help of this tool. It can be used for hard drives, USB storage drives, and memory cards, allowing the user to recover all file types, even those from lost partitions.
Where Is the Recycle Bin in Windows 10/11, How to Open It
- Author: www.easeus.com
- Ratings: 4 ⭐ ( 3255 Ratings )
- Match search results: Where is the Recycle Bin in Windows 10? This tutorial shows several ways to help you find and open Recycle Bin on Windows 10 from desktop, File Explorer, command prompt, or settings. You can also learn how to empty Recycle Bin and restore deleted files from Recycle Bin.
Delete files or folders to recycle bin in C#
- Author: www.fluxbytes.com
- Ratings: 3 ⭐ ( 7835 Ratings )
- Match search results: Sadly C# doesn’t have the required libraries in place to aid the users or the developers to send files or folders directly to the recycle bin.
What is $Recycle.Bin Folder and How to Manage It
- Author: www.techdim.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 7048 Ratings )
- Match search results: Normally, we delete files which are useless and reduce the storage. But if we delete important files, the $Recycle.Bin folder is important to recover them.
How to recover file/Folder in $Recycle.Bin of external Drive
- Author: answers.microsoft.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 4148 Ratings )
- Match search results: Lost a Folder with multiple files when compressing it. The Folder, or rather a sub-folder of it is in the $Recycle.Bin of an external disk. The system shows the Recycle.Bin as corrupted but does not
Where Is The Recycle Bin In Windows 10? How To Find It
- Author: www.minitool.com
- Ratings: 5 ⭐ ( 9151 Ratings )
- Match search results: This is the right place for you if you don’t know “where is the Recycle Bin in Windows 10”: it tells you the Recycle Bin location.
File folder or recycle bin crossword clue
- Author: crosswordeg.com
- Ratings: 3 ⭐ ( 7331 Ratings )
- Match search results: Here answers to File folder or recycle bin crossword clue. We everyday update New York Times Crosswords, Daily Themed Crosswords, LA Times Crosswords and more popular crossword clue answers and solutions.
See more articles in this category: Computer tips